Monday 13 July 2009

Sad day at 18b

No pics today folks. Remember the fruit netting I erected a while ago? The one I spent hours on, making sure it was bird-proof?

Well it wasn't.......I went to the plot today and discovered a dead bird caught in the netting on the inside. I think it was a thrush. It had obviously found a hole, flew in and then couldn't get back out again. The poor wee thing had got caught in the netting, his foot was knotted up in it, and had either run out of energy or choked himself in the netting.

I feel quite guilty about this. It was definately bird-proof when I first erected it but I must have been careless after picking strawberries the other day and not sorted it properly again.

This bird, just doing what nature intended by picking berries, was cruelly killed in it's prime.

I overcame my fear of all things dead and unpicked him from the netting and gave him a proper burial.

Hopefully that'll be the only dead animal I come across at the plot - I can't take another guilt trip.


Speak later, Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment